Recently I have been looking for accommodation in Vancouver. It can sometimes feel like you’re banging your head on a brick wall so here are my tips to help make it easier for you.
1. Be prepared to send a lot of applications off and hear nothing
2. Avoid grovelling
3. Have all your references together – professional reference stating your salary, letting agent reference from home country, and landlord reference from Canada if you’re moving from one property to another.
4. Be prepared to pay a half month’s rent as deposit and first month rent up front. Have it ready to go before going to viewings.
5. Look everywhere and talk to everyone – Craigslist, Kijiji, and Facebook groups. Talk to colleagues and friends, you never know your luck.
6. Don’t jump for the first thing if it genuinely doesn’t suit you.
7. Understand this is not your market. Decent rentals will have countless people lining up to take something you won’t so don’t start playing hard ball otherwise you could very easily lose out.
8. Get some decent shoes because you’re going to be doing a lot of walking.
9. Look outside of what you think is viable both in distance and price. Try out the different bus and transport routes before discounting somewhere.
10. Couples and guys be prepared for hard work. Most places prefer single occupancy and many ads specify female only tenants.
Bonus tip – don’t stop looking as soon as you think you’ve found somewhere just in case it falls through.