What to do and who to inform after you get Permanent Residency

When you finally get Permanent Residency there are a few bits of administration you need to do.

  1. Get a permanent Social Insurance Number (SIN) number – they start with a 7.
  2. Inform your workplace of your new SIN number which must be done within the first week of getting it – this is to ensure you are taxed properly. You will also need to provide them with a photocopy of your landed status to keep on file to show you’re a legal worker. Your employer should request this.
  3. Update your MSP account and work benefits account with your new SIN number. Most workplaces will do this on your behalf.
  4. Inform your bank of your new SIN number – not only is this a legal requirement, it’s also worth asking about what additional options and offers you have with your bank now that you are a permanent resident. There can be good opportunities to save with better bank accounts, credit cards and investment options.
  5. When I received my new SIN number I was told I also needed to inform the Canadian Revenue Service (CRS) of the change in SIN number. But, having done further research not only is it next to impossible to find out how to do this, it’s also clear that your temporary SIN from your work permit and your new SIN numbers are tied together by Service Canada when you get your new SIN number so you don’t need to do this.

Although it can seem like a lot of administration it’s worth noting you’ll only have to do this once because your SIN number once you’re a Permanent Resident never changes.

Ways to follow and contact me

Facebook Page


Great Canadian Move Website

Twitter Page

YouTube Channel


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s